When it comes to the hospitality industry the work can be tough, the hours long and it can be a messy old business at times. But, there are also some really great things about working in the trade too.
Whether you’re a bar person, chef, waitress or general manager, there’s a lot to be said for providing hospitality, so here are a few of our best bits, for anyone tempted to dip a toe in and have a go.
- You get to make new friends – because there’s nothing like working at a big event or new environment for meeting new people, many of which you might find you have a lot in common with.
- Hospitality can mean very busy times but also moments where you have those quiet breaks in between the rush where you can get to know your colleagues better. You’ll see new things – whether you’re working at a one off yearly event, or a major hotel or restaurant, there’s always some new experience to be had or thing to learn. So, if you’ve held a secret desire to make awesome cocktails for example, or you want to learn the trick to making perfect poached eggs, this could be your chance to find out.
- You become like a little family – More often than not it’s vital that the team work well together in order for things to run smoothly. When this happens, especially if the event goes on for a few days, you get that feeling of camaraderie that comes with pulling together and it can begin to feel like a proper family.
- It’s a great feeling returning to a place you’ve worked at before – good memories, good times, great friends… oh, and a favourite dish that you haven’t been able to find anywhere else since the last time you were there.
- There will always be one item on the menu that you will loooooove – From gorgeous desserts to mouthwatering mains, quite often the hospitality staff will get the chance to sample the wares they have been providing and it’s definitely one of the best bits!
- Your new best friend is a chef – because these are the people who can take you to heaven and back with their culinary marvels and this is a great chance to meet and befriend one!